Saturday, August 14, 2010

Buttercream no more.............

In my last blog, I talked about learning lots about myself and the type of business I wanted to be. I think that knowing what you don't want to do is as important as knowing what you do want to do, sometimes, even more important.

I started back in cake decorating doing these types of cakes (pictured) for my kids a few years back. They end up coming together alright,I guess, but they are just not my thing. And, here's a newsflash, which I should probably keep to myself, they are actually HARDER and less forgiving than the fondant ones I have been doing.

I don't like them, I don't like doing them and I am making a clear stand now.

Besides, the fondant cakes produce a far better quality product and here is another news flash "fondant has moved on from the dry thick horrible stuff you ate at Aunt Thelma's wedding". It actually tastes really nice and yes, take it from me, kids do eat it. In fact, I find more of them ate the fondant icing at Oscar's birthday than they have eaten at my previous buttercream cakes. Not that I am encouraging a sugar craze, but then again I am not the food police either, I do make cakes for a living!

I know it seems a little harsh, and I am writing this a bit tongue in cheek in case you haven't picked it up, or you don't know me. 

The real bottom line: "Please don't ask me for a buttercream cake as refusal often offends". This is something I have done as a paid favour for Alice's best friend's birthday tomorrow, but it is not something I will be including in Baked by Kate going forward.

Now, buttercream topped cupcakes, you ask? A whole other story...............bring them on!!! In fact, I will be bringing on hundreds of them for an upcoming Fete. All in the name of community fundraising ofcourse.

Mwah, mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment