Saturday, July 31, 2010

Who doesn't love a handbag?

As is normal around here, three more people left town this week. This town is very transient with people coming and going, some stay for a mere weeks, some for months, some for years (when they meant to come for one!) but eventually, most go back from wence they came.

Three ladies left the Workaholic's workplace this week and I saw that as a brilliant chance to have a go at a handbag and suitcase cake.

We have a lot going on at the moment. We had my parents staying, with mum recovering from a illness, the Workaholic in Darwin, our house going on the market and the usual life stuff. I didn't spend as much time or take as much care as I would have liked on these cakes, so I am looking forward to doing them again one day.

I did have a lot of fun though! I looooove making cakes. I know I am getting better at this cake biz as nothing is daunting and I just get in and have a go. As one of the Planet Cake teachers, Fran says "it's just icing, have a go. If it doesn't work, throw it out, start again!". I have also just realised that the handbag and suitcase is one of the steps in the Planet cake course program which I haven't done yet. I think I might have to apply for an exemption!

Here are some pics. The diamond pattern is actually fake stitching using a tracing wheel seamstresses use. It looked amazing and I need to take a close up next time.


The Briefcase


The Briefcase


The Handbag.

I had to laugh, while I was doing the cakes, I was also trying to finish up the final touches on our house for the inspections and real estate photos, so I got to the zipper on the handbag and stopped short of putting on the bit that pulls the zipper up and down. I thought it looked okay without it and I was pushed for time. But not the kids! They are becoming my biggest critics now. At six and three, they demanded that I finish the zipper! Even when I am making cupcakes and give them the "rejects" that are slightly imperfect, they say "Ohhhhhhhhh, muuuuum whhhhhhy dooooo I haaave to havvve the baaaaad one???".  Sheeesh. I am creating monsters!

Anyway, the ladies loved their cakes, the crew that work for the Workaholic are busy planning his farewell cake. They think it would be a good idea if they had a competition and the person who comes up with the most creative cake idea wins. Then I have to create that cake as the farewell cake. Mmmmmm, making my own farewell/leaving town cake? What's wrong with this picture? My sister in law thinks I have been cheated. She says if this was the movies the townsfolk would make a cupcake each with a design on it representing what we mean to them. LOL! I think there is a bit too much Days of our Lives/Sex in the City in the Carlton/Breen household. ;-)

Until next time..........

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Kate, I agree with Aislinn, you shouldn't have to make your own farewell cake, but don't count on me to make one! MIL

    ReplyDelete