Saturday, December 5, 2009

Peppermint Bark



Yes, yes, more chocolate, beautiful white chocolate with crushed peppermint candy canes stirred through it, before letting it set and then breaking it up to share and tada... you have peppermint bark.




I have a weird confession. I don't really understand the reconstitution of items to make something that is basically the same as what they started as. Melting chocolate to turn into, well, chocolate is not my first choice to bake/experiment with.

I totally get mixing a variety of raw ingredients to make something else, ie, a cake or biscuit but to do something to have it turn out the same thing just seems strange to me.


However, Peppermint Bark and lots of things like it: White Christmas, Chocolate truffles, etc are wildly popular and addictive. I really enjoy eating them and seeing other people enjoy them but I do not make them often at Christmas. I guess I like a challenge now days and trying new things. Having said that, the simple things in life are often the best and who can argue with CHOCOLATE!!

I made the Peppermint Truffles and yesterday I made Peppermint Bark and little dark chocolate Santas.

All of them require melting of chocolate to then reform in a different shape and are simple, meaning I can whip them up between kinder runs and other household duties, and don't need to concentrate on elaborate recipes.

I must say that all three items where a hit and I will be repeating them at various stages this christmas.

All of them are great if you are time poor, and lets face it, these days most people are. Personally, I could bake 24/7 because it is my thing, but many others would prefer to do millions of other things that give them pleasure like read a book, work in the garden, exercise or play the piano and could think of nothing worse than standing in the kitchen.

And this is why I will be making them and several other things this christmas. As I said in previous posts, I like to give baked goods because I know they give pleasure and I think home made baking is becoming a lost art with huge sections of the population, and that is a shame. Nothing tastes as good as home made.




A few of these easy but delicious items are exactly what I need right now because I fly home for christmas to my old beautiful beach town of Mornington and our families and friends in about 10 days and I have a heap of baked goods to make to give out as gifts. There are lots of demands on my time right now, what with end of year preschool and kinder concerts, christmas carols and other social functions, not to mention the usual demands of two children and a Workaholic husband, I need all the simple but delicious recipes I can find! I will mix them in with the more time consuming, finely decorated cup cakes and biscuits I like to experiment with.

So if you are new to this kitchen caper and are looking for something to make and give this christmas you really should try some Peppermint Bark, White Christmas or Chocolate Balls. They are a good place to start.




I might see you at the local supermarket, I'll race you to the chocolate isle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment