Friday, March 26, 2010

Practice, practice and more practice!

This week I was very slack on the baking front and actually didn't try a new recipe. It must be the first time in about 6 months. It felt a bit weird, but alas, I think it may be a prediction of the future.

You see, I have been practicing what I learnt at Planet Cake and that requires most of my time to be spent on the decoration, so I just bake the old favourites as the base to save time.

The baking is the easy bit. The designing, planning and execution of each decorated cake takes an enormous amount of time. I guarantee for every decorated cake you see out there, more than half of the cost of it would be in labour costs. Except for mine. I am pretty much charging at cost so I can get lots of orders and therefore lots of experience, then when I am famous, I will work on the rich! So get in quick! LOL!

The first cake was for a friend who is leaving town next week, as most people eventually do, in this transient town. Often they go back to where they came from originally, but this brave single mum is going to work even more remotely in NT. You go, girlfriend! She has made a big impact on the Workaholic's workplace and welcomed us with open arms when we arrived nearly 2 years ago. It will be weird not having her and Ruby around. Good luck and enjoy Prue and Ruby!

The cake was a big hit in the office and resulted in at least 2 orders for more. Yay for me! Thank you to everyone for your support and kind words in the office, you embarrased me!

Anyway, here are a few pics of this weeks practice!


Geez, I wish I knew how to get this right way up. It is right way up in my pictures software but turns itself back when I import it. Very frustrating!







Not a great background, but you get the idea.

Next week, being Easter week, was going to be lots of easter goodies, but I have a couple of paid orders and a road trip to pack for, so it may end up being one special easter cake - ie more practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment