Monday, March 15, 2010

My week at Planet Cake Part 1


If I got hit by that proverbial bus right now, I would die a happy woman! (Aside from the fact that I would leave 2 small children and the Workaholic behind! LOL!).

You see, last week, I spent the whole week in heaven, Planet Cake heaven! For those who don't know, Planet Cake is one of the leading, if not the leading, designers of cakes here in Australia. They make cakes for all the celebrities, not just in Australia, but all around the world. What they don't know about cake decorating, is not worth knowing.

You may remember back to an earlier blog about all the wonderful christmas presents I got this year, and a weeks intensive course at Planet Cake was one of them. Oh, thank you, Workaholic! Many years ago, I dabbled in cake decorating but found the industry was full of 70 year olds and it sort of cramped my then, 18 year old, style. Now that the industry has had a bit of an update, and I am closer to the 70 year old mark than I was, and frankly, I am the one cramping 18 year old people's style, I felt it was time to take another look!

The week involved decorating 3 different cakes, using different decorating techniques, ganache making, modelling, piping and cake making. And to top it all off, you do all this in their production kitchen, surrounded by the real artists of Planet Cake who are busy creating master pieces for that weekend's wedding, christening, birthday or other celebration! So while you are absorbing all the information of the course, you also have the opportunity to see them at work and ask questions. They are so approachable, friendly and welcoming.

I have done a bit of cake decorating before, many years ago, some of you may remember, and it all came flooding back. Funnily enough, I used to struggle with air bubbles in the finish back then (20 years ago) and I still did this week! Some things never change. But I was more confident at removing them.  Anyway, being the first day, I wasn't taking as many photos in class, but needless to say, it went okay.

Now, I did say I was a bit shy in the camera stakes on the first day so didn't get every step, but tada! Here is the finished product and all my fellow cake enthusists! The centre is filled with silver balls to hide the cuts in the cake.

Day 1 down, what a full on, but rewarding day. I learn't so much and went back to the hotel and flopped on the bed for the rest of the night!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! SOOOOO COOL!!! i'm really jealous that you have a cake decorating program like that in your area! i would really love to attend something like that too!

    ReplyDelete